Friday, July 30, 2010

Finally Moved in to my New Pad & Origin of Love

Normally I would have posted something daily, but been pretty busy every day with the move. One thing I did want to bring up briefly was the the Symposium by Plato... Yeah, I know, sounds heavy, it's really not.

In the Symposium, Plato's friend, the poet/playwright Aristophanes, discusses a metaphor of the three sexes that were originally on Earth at the creation. There are the all male, all female, and the "androgynos" (half male & half female). This later group sought to climb Mt. Olympus (the home of the Gods), which angered Zeus, who instead of killing them outright decided to punish them for their hubris by cutting them in half and stitching them up as either male or female. Aristophanes further relates that since that time, these individuals have traveled through life looking for their other half.

This might sound familiar to those of you who have seen the movie "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" (a pretty good movie, I highly recommend). Here's the scene I'm talking about:



So what's the significance and why I've been thinking of this? Well, we constantly talk about soul mates and all that. I kind of wonder if love MUST be sexual to be real. I've had plenty of sexual experiences, but never love, at least not what could properly be defined as love. On the other hand, I have people important to me in my life that I love very much who I need no sexual connection with to know I love them or that they love me.

I'm not saying there is anything necessarily wrong with sex, especially if it's healthy, safe, committed, and done for the right reasons. I'm just thinking why should I get hung up on sex or the various labels that come with what makes me "aroused" if love can be something non-sexual. Or to put it another way, my life experience has taught me that who I had sex with weren't people I loved. I might have thought I did, but I was lying to myself and them. That's not to say I didn't care about them, but honestly looking back on all the people I've ever said "I love you" to in a sexual relationship, I don't think I ever really did love them, and I don't think they truly loved me. I'm not whining or complaining, just stating facts.

So our life goal, or at least one of them, is to find that person we can truly love, supposedly. Well, maybe I can't love just one person, and maybe my view of love won't have anything to do with a sexual connection. Again, if my sexual relationships didn't result in love, logically, then love and sex are not only two different things for me, but also that for me love must come without sex. I'm not sure if I'll always feel that way, or if I'll even feel that way in six months.

As my trainer suggests, just keep your heart and mind open to possibilities. Take it easy and let life do what it does, and be willing to accept what comes your way, sort of thing.