Saturday, July 24, 2010

Dad's Birthday Dinner and Figuring out Where I'm Going to Meet Women

So I "came out" to my dad and step-mom again, they took it as well as they did last time I did, so no worries there. They seem more the type to accept whatever choices I make in my life, because at this point in my life, they know I'm smart enough and self-reliant enough to make the right choices in a given situation. I didn't expect them to make a big deal out of it, and I also explained to them that I want to carry on the family name since my brother only makes girls, my uncle is gay, and then there was me.

Outside of that, on the drive home I was thinking, where should I go to meet women? I'm debating if I want to try posting some kind of online ad. Maybe even one of those sites like eHarmony. I tried Match.com before, but for dudes, and that was about worthless, I don't expect it to be much better for women. I want it to be something free or cheap just to get the experience, so I'm thinking I might try plentyoffish.com or something like that. I'm DEFINITELY not going to try Craigslist, I can't say I've ever had a positive experience off of there whatsoever, so I doubt the situation would be any better with women.

I've debated maybe starting up a facebook profile again, but I remember how pointless that was last time, might be about the same this time, plus I'd have to make two, one in my real name (my "public" profile) and one in a pseudonym for my close friends and family (just so potential future employers don't find pics of me drunk or questionable groups I belong to, etc.) So all in all, seems too much of a hassle, because people would probably find me by my real name, then depending on who they are, I'd have to tell them the fake name to add me as a friend, blah blah. Sucks you have to do that nowadays, but thems the breaks.

On a positive note, I'm really looking forward to hitting my trainer's church tomorrow with his wife and one of the dudes I lift with at the gym. The dude from the gym doesn't know about me, I'm debating if I want to tell him about what I'm going through, if that would make the situation easier, if he'd accept it, etc. I want to be his friend, seems like a good guy with a good head on his shoulders, but not sure how he'd take a bombshell like that. If we do become friends, I will tell him then for sure, because I don't like hiding stuff like this from people for very long.

Anyway, the topic of tomorrow's service, ironically enough, is human sexuality. I'm going to go in open-minded, I'm certain there'll be parts I agree with and parts I oppose, but all in all I hope it's a positive learning experience and I'm hoping for the best. I know my trainer is supportive, so I know he won't steer me wrong, so I trust him a lot on this stuff. I'll write my reflections afterward either tomorrow night or Monday morning.